Please Note

I am not a medical professional. I do not have any medical training. I am the mother of a little girl who has been diagnosed with Aniridia, Wilms Tumor, and Kidney Failure. I am writing about my experiences. I am not always going to be accurate with details, but I try to be as accurate as possible. Please do not use this information to diagnose or treat yourself or anyone else. Please consult with a trained medical professional for any treatment or diagnosis.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Getting Back To Normal



It's been a month and a half since Piper's transplant.  She has been doing amazing!  Throughout the month of November she had to go to clinic every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  They told us that she could drop down to twice a week in December.  She is doing so well, though, that she only has to go once a week!!  Her labs are all looking great and moving in the right direction.  We are so grateful for this blessing.

She is also eating like a champ!  She now loves cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza and ice cream.  We have a little bit of a junk food junkie on our hands.  We're trying to lean her more toward yogurt, chicken, turkey, vegetables....  On a good note, she now likes cheese and milk!  Her body is desperately in need of healthy calcium!  This is the first time in her life that she's been able to eat almost anything and she's happy to do it!  The only thing she cannot eat is grapefruit.  I don't think she'll be complaining....

I am also doing really well.  I have healed quickly, and am almost back to normal.  I look forward to getting some regular exercise again soon.

We are looking forward to a somewhat normal Christmas.  We've been baking cookies and decorating. The girls have been singing every Christmas carol they know.  The doctors even approved a special trip to the mall to see Santa (as long as we went during daytime weekday hours)!  We visited Santa on Monday morning when no one was really at the mall yet.  Piper told Santa that she wanted a purple LeapPad.  She called it a Pi-pod though....  That's what she calls Emma's.  Santa told her that he liked her purple glasses, and that he also likes the color purple.  She has told me countless times this week that Santa likes purple too.  I think that made her day!!

We are praying that we will all be able to avoid all of the colds and bugs that are lurking around.  We don't want to spend our Christmas at Duke.

We hope you all have a Merry Christmas!  Be safe and enjoy!