Please Note

I am not a medical professional. I do not have any medical training. I am the mother of a little girl who has been diagnosed with Aniridia, Wilms Tumor, and Kidney Failure. I am writing about my experiences. I am not always going to be accurate with details, but I try to be as accurate as possible. Please do not use this information to diagnose or treat yourself or anyone else. Please consult with a trained medical professional for any treatment or diagnosis.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

Rough Night ...

Piper did not have a great night.  The nurses come in every 4 hours to check her vitals.  The nurse last night did not know how to do it without waking her up each time!  She opened the blinds to let the hall light in... and when Piper stirred, the nurse would TALK to her!  You never TALK to a baby or make eye contact with them if you want them to go back to sleep!  I know she didn't do it intentionally, but that did not make for a good night!  The other nurses do a fabulous job, and they never wake her up.  They can draw blood for labs, check her vitals and even change her diaper without ever waking her!  They're good!!!  ... Irony?!?! ... Their best nurse is a man, and I am fairly certain he does not have any children of his own.  He really loves these kids at Duke, though!

The nurse came in a while ago holding Piper's lab report.  ANC = 36.  Her other counts are going up, though.  Her platelet level is back to an acceptable level, and her WBC count is getting better too.  I doubt they will let us go home until her ANC is at least a few hundred and showing significant signs of improvement.  So, we are stll here!

Hoping that today is a good day for everyone! ...and tomorrow is even better!