Please Note

I am not a medical professional. I do not have any medical training. I am the mother of a little girl who has been diagnosed with Aniridia, Wilms Tumor, and Kidney Failure. I am writing about my experiences. I am not always going to be accurate with details, but I try to be as accurate as possible. Please do not use this information to diagnose or treat yourself or anyone else. Please consult with a trained medical professional for any treatment or diagnosis.

Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Rough Night,.... But We Are At Home!

Last night Piper started moving really slow!  She had no energy, and she started to run a fever...  She hit 100.6, and that meant we had to call the Dr.'s.  They wanted us to come in to the ER to have her checked out.  We packed everything up (prepared incase we were admitted), and headed to the ER.  They drew labs, and gave her antibiotics and more fluids.  We were finally released to come home around 2am.  So, we are still at Home!  Yeah!!!

We are still waiting on the final word from the surgeons regarding her CT results.  They need to determine if they want to move forward with surgery now or continue with another 6 weeks of chemo.  The only thing the surgeons have told us so far is that when they do surgery, we should expect that they will not be able to save her right kidney.  We were prepared to hear that because of the initial diagnosis.  We aren't pleased with that report, but it wasn't a complete surprise!

We are also dealing with a little bit of a pneumonia.  She is on antibiotics for that, and they think it won't be an issue.  She is breathing fine.  They only discovered it when they did the CT.  When we were released, we were given several new prescriptions ... as well as injections to boost her WBC count.  I had to give her 2 shots so far, but the Dr.'s last night said I don't have to do it anymore!!!!  Yeah!!!!  I don't do well with giving shots.  I was definitely not meant to be a nurse!  All of her counts are great at this point, so we continue on the antibiotics.  We have clinic on Tuesday.  She is scheduled to receive another chemo treatment on Tuesday.  Even if we proceed with surgery soon, we can't do surgery for at least 10 days or so....  because of the pneumonia.  Hopefully we will know more on Tuesday!! 

We are still struggling with getting Piper to eat and drink much.  We need to keep her hydrated!  Please pray that she will start eating and drinking better.  If we could solve that problem, I think she would feel much better!!!

So, for now, we enjoy our "normal" life at home as a family!!!!  Hoping for a great weekend together!